Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

IM Wisconsin Course Pre-ride

SO I regretfully didn't have the funding to hire Daniel Bretscher as a coach This winter(I think it would have been a good match after having an opportunity yesterday to talk his ear off).  But he did offer to ride the course some time during the season if our schedules lined up and we were both healthy.  Well, they did...and we were healthy, so off to Madison on Sat.   Actually, we elected to save 40 minutes of driving and start in Mt. Horeb.
Mt Horeb... site of the 2000 Midwest Region Collegiate MTB Cycling Championships.   I had a great race, remember the party for awards, remember hanging out drinking jack & coke.... and nothing else until I woke up on the floor of our hotel room with the worst hangover I've ever had to date.
Yesterday was a bit more merciful.  Although the course if honest, very honest, very hilly,  little rough in parts, but nothing a good plan, good discipline and knowing your abilities can't manage.
I wont go aver ever segment of the ride.  But I've decided I have a couple favourite sections.
1) The climb into Mt. Horeb.  The pavement gets smooth, Its pretty, shaded forested section, and it's a long moderate grade until the top.
2) The technical descent just outside of Mt. Horeb. Lots of fun.  A couple turns you can really hang out that sets you up for a long fast section through the woods.
3) The 3 sisters.  Seriously, these are good honest climbs.  Shorter than I expected, maybe because they are so steep.  Some really cool descents after each one.  One I nearly overcooked on lap 2.
The rest of it is a mix of of rough pavement and rollers for the most part.  Nothing that fun or exciting.
The real trick on this course is how mentally engaging it is.  You spend very little time just rolling in a constant hear.  You are constantly changing gears, deciding what power level is best. All the while making sure you drink and eat to plan.
What I learned:
1) 53/39 and a 11-28 cassette will be perfect here.  You need a wide range here, especially that 11T.
2) My nutrition plan os OK in cooler temps, but above 80F it was some issues.  I ate about 38- calories per hour, but drank almost 140oz in 5-1/2 hours.  I think 1) I was overdressed a little.   But I need ot be prepared to drink more fluids if needed.  It worked out OK and I pushed through some rough patches where I wasn't feeling good.
3) I can ride at least 200W for 5-1/2 hours and not be shelled if I eat enough.   So it seems reasonable I can ride 210 watts for 5 hours and not be shelled and run very well.   IF I can hit 5:05-5:10 on a conservative 210 watts, I think I'll be in very good shape for a run and a KQ.  I think my best plan is just to focus on my own pace and not worry about where everyone else is at.
4) Even if my legs and energy doesn't feel great for a while, it often comes back around.   The last 3 miles I was able to roll it up and my legs felt pretty good doing it.
5) I'm a speed demon on the corners.  I'll have to watch myself with lap traffic, but I could see gaining almost 1 minute per lap on technical sections.
I GOT POOPED ON!   Yes for the first time that I can recall... a bird pooped and it landed on my arm.  Yes, very gross.  But Daniel said it was good luck, so I'll go with that.   Without any reserve water, I stopped and used weeds and grass on the roadside to wash it off.
Overall great experience to see the course first hand and know what's coming up at each segment.  Huge thanks to Daniel for the professional tour guide.  I gained lots of great tips hints, etc from our conversations.  IT's funny too, here i was thinking I was pretty aero... but wow, he is super aero. I had a slower wheel set-up, but that probably was only a 10 watts difference, yet I rode about 20 watts more average yesterday.
I think after all the great info I gained, I owe him and his wife dinner at Steelhead if they are available.  It will make a real difference in my race since its my first IM.

Quick update.... I looked at my ride file and now im considering at minimum a 52T chainring (would be good to have a new ring then)or a 50/34 crank.  52/36 would be perfect....but are only available in 11 speed or duraace.


EDIT... link to ride file below:


No comments:

Post a Comment