Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, August 24, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up 8/17 & 8/24

Getting caught up once again.   I had wrapped up my "Build 1" block with another week of solid work after a short recovery from Steelhead.  I didn't quite hit the numbers I was targeting, but I put in some good consistent work.  I followed that up with a recovery week leading to my final build for Kona.

Wow, I can't believe I'm <40 days away from stepping on an airplane for the big island.  Couple thoughts on that.  1st, Steelhead & Racine proved to me that even if I'm a little heavier and a little behind in terms of training than where I wanted to be, or even where I think I was last year, the consistency of the last 5 years combined with good sense of pacing, seem to rule the day.  It seems close to the that it's a matter of having enough fitness, and knowing how hard you can go with what your legs give you that day.  I seem to manage solid races even when I'm a notch below my best in my training and how I feel on race day.  2nd, the final month is a little bitter sweet.  I'm closing a chapter in my athletic career.  I think the realities of balancing training, family and the fact that I'm 37 years old mean that in terms of peak performance, this is the pinnacle of my athletic career.  Perhaps 10-15 years down the road I can train with equal or greater volume if I have the hunger to perform, but I won't be as fast as I am now.  That sense of mortality creeps in just a little.

In my training these last few weeks I'll keep visualizing myself feeling strong, having a great race.  Having a solid swim and riding up to the front of the field with the best in the world.  Hitting the run relaxed, controlled, feeling strong yet light with a nice bounce to my step with a ringside seat to the pro race out on the road 10-15 miles up ahead for the men and I figure just 3-4 miles up to the women race.

By the numbers (8/10-8/16):
SWIM: 2h37m, 11,508y
BIKE: 10h56m, 234
RUN: 4h48m, 38.5mi
TOTAL 18h21m
TSS: 1061


By the numbers (8/17-8/23):
SWIM: 1h43m, 7,601y
BIKE: 7h42m, 150mi
RUN: 3h24m, 27.8mi
TOTAL 7h42m
TSS: 749


What's left:
2 Olympic distance "fun" races.  Those will pretty much be my "speed" workouts for the block.
3 Long rides between 4 and 5-1/2 hours
3 long runs of 14-16 miles (actually 2, since I did a long run this morning)
A little more swimming.... if possible

My focus is IM pace, with some tempo mixed in on the bike.  My medium and long runs, other than the OD races will be mostly z2 pace at IM intensity.  I say "intensity" because my pace in 90F, 80% humidity will be slower, but the intensity will be the same.  I think realistically I can roll a 7:25-7:35 pace and set a run PR and go just under 9:10 and even that is a stretch goal.  I have to be realistic about the wind on the bike and the heat.  But hey, why not dream a little.  I tend to perform on hard courses and tough conditions.

Sidenote: I'm finally "Ranked" having completed my 3rd race of the season.  I'm tied for 12th 35-39 nationally.  2nd (really 3rd, not sure why Dan Stubleski isn't ranked yet) in Michigan.   Corey Perez rocked Triple T, which always scores really high.   I'm just short of 100 points.  3 more shots at improving my point average. :)

If anyone has any questions on details of my training, race execution, etc, feel free to ask or e-mail...  coachmikegirard@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment