Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Friday, October 9, 2015

Kona Pre-race - Final Thoughts

Phew!  What a journey.  I'ts been a cool experience here training and trying to soak in the whole week while still doing some family stuff.  Been to several beaches playing in big waves, the seahorse farm, chocolate factory.   I swam at the pier every day Monday through Thursday.  I have 2 good swims, a short swim and, 1 very scary one in really bad chop.  I seems to be swimming straight and my stroke feels pretty good.  No idea where my speed is, but I'm confident I can get into a good groove and stay relaxed but still post a good time.

The bike is my weapon!  I have no doubts.  My early strategy is to give up ground up the hills to stay legal, they use my extra 8-10lbs and aero to roll past downhill without having to put in surges.  Then from Hawi back, stay on nutrition and let myself get stronger and put in some time.

I think I'm acclimating well overall.  I sweat like buckets when I'm warm but down feel overheated and my stomach seems to be OK.   But I'll have to feel that out for nutrition.

For the swim I think I'll line up maybe 2nd row and let everyone go ape-shit and just sit back and enjoy the draft.  Then after the turn, find some good hips to swim on and just cruise the way back.  Sight as little as possible, swim straight, swim smart.

On the run, I know that I'm not going to run a sub 3, so I'll set a cap around 7:10 and just go with it, stay relaxed and watch my HR.   The 1/2 mile I want to try and run just 7:30 pace and get my legs under me, rather than dig a hole early on, but we'll see.  The BIG GAMBLE for me is using my A6 race flats.  The rationale is they drain better and I run with better economy (faster turnover) and being lighter I hope my hamstrings and hip flexors hold together longer.   Downside is potentially more fatigue from less cushion.  But I'm just not happy with how my Clifton 2's feel.  Hey, it's a race.

Otherwise I want to just enjoy the event, enjoy the day.

Wish me luck!   Ironman #2 here I come!

2 comments:

  1. It's the big day, go get it!! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing race wrap up. Although we have not met, I have more than enjoyed watching your posts, your humility, your love for your family and the respect for the sport. This recap embraces all of those elements, it's my hope that one day I will have the opportunity to meet you personally, but if that day never comes, I wanted you to know how great it was to Facebook know an athlete who qualified, raced, completed and is an Ironman Wirld Champion. Congrats Mike on a great race and an epic event that you shared!

    ReplyDelete