Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, May 18, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up 05/18/15

Been pretty busy the last few weeks.  Plenty of good news.  I accepted an offer for a new job located in Benton Harbor, MI.   No, not Whirlpool (local joke).  I'm moving to St. Joseph this week to start work next week ahead of my family.  We have our house sold and found a new house we like.  I'm really excepted about how this can improve my training.  There's a new YMCA with a 25 meter pool, several high school pool and of course Lake Michigan.  Yes, open water swim training in a "real" lake.  Michigan is a big time swimming state.  Aquatic clubs, masters swimming, etc even in a small town/community.  Roads for riding look pretty good.  The road parallel to the lake has wide shoulders and is excellent pavement, or at least the segment on the Steelhead 70.3 course was.  No river bugs!!!! I get to live in a town with a local 70.3 event, pretty cool.  Lots of scenic running, sidewalks, etc.  Did I mention no river bugs?  I'm looking forward to maybe turning my swim training around.  Right now, I'm procrastinating going to the YMCA.   Plus in winter I could maybe get into cross country skiing possible, snow shoeing and in the late fall, drag out the MTB with some great trails not too far away I think.  Maybe a cheap fat tire bike for some winter riding on snow packed roads too.

For the family, there's awesome schools, some of the best in the state.  The beach, ice skating, skiing, sledding, lots of youth swim programs and other youth sports, great dance studios and so on.  Chicago is 90-120 minutes away, Kalamazoo 45 minutes, Grand Rapids <90 minutes, and my parents are about 2-1/2 hours away.  Summer weather is more mild, less humid and less extreme.  Winter is longer, but slightly less extreme, but with more snow.  I think overall there's less variability, but also more cloudy/rainy days.

Training...
After Trizou I had a unstructured Transition Week.  I won't bother listing total other than it was 11 hours and 640TSS.  SO that was a off week.   This week I'm back to trying to build my base, but house hunting, packing, moving, etc are making that hard and the weather isn't as cooperative with thunderstorms.  I'm doing the best I can.  Weight management is still dismal too.  Not much motivation to swim either.  But swimming comes back fast, so I'll just keep focusing on bike and run mileage.  Memorial Day weekend is the TBC Madison Mini-Camp.  I'm excited about that.  Lots of riding, running and a little OWS... in freezing Lake Monona.  Rumor is it's just to 60F.  Might try double swim caps for that.

Overall this last week was close to to target hours, a little short on TSS, but solid run mileage and good swim frequency.

As a fun side note, I received my Red Cross life-guarding certification this week.  I only needed the CPR training, but figure WTH, why not.

By the numbers:
Swim: 7000y, 1h36m
Bike: 154, 7h49m
Run: 44.9, 5h39m
TOTAL: 15h05m
TSS: 957

Next 2 weeks will be a solid jump.  One of my goals since I'm be living "single" is to pack in as much extra Zone 1 riding as I can to build a larger aerobic base I feel like I'm missing and ramp up the run mileage.... oh and drop some weight.  My running is really suffering from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment