Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, April 21, 2014

Weekly wrap-up 04/20/14

The Numbers:
Swim: 2h25m, 10,500y
Bike: 5h19m, 109mi
Run: 3h53m, 31.4mi
Strength/Walk: 1h55m

Recovery week down.  Although honestly, I don't feel like I'm all that recovered.  At least not mentally.  Maybe because it was such a busy weekend and the frequency of workouts was nearly as much.  I did get caught up on sleep and shed a lot of fatigue.   It didn't help that I maintained a descent running volume (still playing catch-up).

Tests:
My swim test went poorly as the pool was hotter than all get out.  I think there's still some improvement, but I've plateaued a bit overall there.  I need a break through in technique to get further.  I have some new drills to try.  My run test went great.  I rolled a 5:50 pace at @163bpm.  I then cruised a 6:32 @152.  Then a 7:11 @ 139.   Finally I did a fast lap at a 5:11 pace with HR at 167.  Even better, I felt pretty good the next day, though it probably impacted my bike test.  I ran into Richard Johnson at the end of my run and went another 1.5 miles to jog with him for a bit.

Bike test.   It was 83F, moderate wind, but lots of traffic and I just wasn't there.  I got a flat just starting the 20' test.  I took my time and changed it in 10'.  I think 5' is possible if I'm more deliberate. A latex tube wouldn't have prevented that flat.  Although latex with a sealant might have held enough air My 5' test went OK, matched my PR of 330W, but that should have been 350W.     I actually rode better this morning riding Sufferfest HHNF.  I hit a new 60' record of 267Watts.

I ordered a pair of Saucony A6's to replace my aging and slightly small T7's.  I also think I am OK in 4mm offset shoes as long as I also train in 8mm shoes at least 1/2 the time for some balance.  The T7's are 12mm and it always felt like maybe they had too much heel and I'd even catch the heel on the ground occasionally.  The A6s are also an insanely light 5.2 ounces.  That's a full 1.2 ounces lighter than the T7's.  That's a pretty big difference.  They also have more rubber on the out sole, so they should be more durable on the forefoot and less sensitive to rocks I hope.  Maybe better traction too in some cases.  The T7's will still work well for fast training workouts and bricks where I want a light shoes for race simulation, but a little less offset to protect my heel.  I'm still going to stick with Cortanas for IMWI at this point.  I may use them at Steelhead as well or possibly a new pair of Kinvaras by that point.  The Kinvaras could still be an option.  They really gdo feel good and may still be just enough shoe.

Trizou is closing in fast.  I think I'll be ready to put in a good performance.  I'll definitely be faster than last year, though I wish my running was a little better and I was 2-3lbs lighter.  But we'll take what we can get.  Swim and bike is improved.  Bike position is much more aggressive, better rear wheel and tire combinations too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment