Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, November 17, 2014

The race is on!!!... and I'm in trouble! The Weekly Wrap up 11/17/14

IMAZ was contested yesterday.  Most noteable for me at least, was that Scott Iott crushed it!   In a way that was just downright scary.  Almost exact same swim time as IMWI.  A strong 4:52 bike to pull himself up to the top 5 of the AG..and set him up for a screaming run.  A 2:58 effort!  1/2 of me says "I surrender".  With my ongoing injury, shakey motivation and a little more focused on starting up coaching on the side.  The other 1/2 say "F that!".  Last season was really my 1st attempt and raising my game to really compete with the best.  I can get faster.  I can focus, make the best use of my limited time and crush it.  So looking at my strengths and situation what  does that mean?   It means I need to bike with speed more like Zucco and have a 5-8' lead off the bike and hang on for my life on the run.  Will that be enough.... not if Scott can roll a sub 3:10 at Kona.   But it be fun trying and a great experience either way.

How do I accomplish that.  I have 3 things planned for the offseason:
1) Raise my FTP or at least my overall "strength" by riding 6-7 days a week with 3 quality rides focused on intervals at 105%+ and otherwise zone 2 to keep up my overall training load.  This should work well as I'm still not running.
2) Improve my aerodynamics through position - I'm trying a -35deg stem, but switched back to the OEM headset top cap.  So I'm not quite 10mm lower.  I went 5mm longer on the stem length.  So now I'm even lower, but I'm rotating my hips further forward to maintain a similar open hip angle.
3) Improve my aerodynamics through equipment - Single front ring - I'm going to purchase a "narrow-wide" 54T aero front ring and run that with a 11-28 rear cassette and train to be comfortable at lower RPM's seated.  I could go 11-32 or 11-34 but I think I'd give back some aero and the gaps between gears would get a little too large.   The things to test will be if the chain stays on or drops, and what type of speed improvements do I see.  Hard to objectively test those now that I'll be indoors.  But we'll use some basic logic here.  I'll have to fab a small aero "block" to go over the fr. der. hanger as it cannot be removed on a Trek SC frame.  Falco is making this ring in a short run for a couple athletes including some pros looking for an edge.   My buddy advises against it, sure I'll drop my chain and ruin any advantage it gives.  I'll take my chances I guess.

This weeks training was unremarkable overall.   I will note that I tried a couple Sufferfest videos with short sprints and I'm hooked.  You get that slightly shakey feeling afterwards.  Probably from using some fast twitch muscles.  But I like it.  Pound out 90 TSS in 1 hour easy!

By the numbers:

Swim: 2h59m, 12,950y
Bike: 6h4m, 121mi
Run: 0h, 0mi
Strength: 2h
Total: 11h09m
751 TSS

NOTE:              the speed on my trainer at the resistance I want is running a little slow right now.  SO my mileage is low compared to the effort.  I'd say 2-3mph difference compared ot training set-up outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment