Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up 11/03/14

I way behind on my weekly summary.  Been busy with some testing, writting and essay and other fun stuff.   My PT is going OK.   I've had some dark moments but I think I'm in the right direction.   Huge thansk to Kevin Nickel http://kevinnickel.blogspot.com/  & http://www.pinnacleortho.com/  for soem strenghtening suggestions.   Aaron Apter of Chicago als ogave me some suggestion and I purchased a book to help with long term running improvement.  Yoga seems to be helping and I'm pretty well sold.  I'll recommend to anyone that has any type of hip strength and flexibility issues, that this IS the way to improve that.

I'm back to swimming and biking again as 6 days off proved once again that it made no difference even while taking prescription NSAID's.  So the plan is Yoga, Strength trianing, stretching, stretch cords, rolling, more stretching, and more rolling.

The other thing I'm going to try is rotating in a pair of Hoka's.  Yes Hokas.  Don;t worry, it's just a "Gateway" drug version... the Clifton.  I'm told it's not a "real Hoka" and that it feels more like Kinvaras with extra cushion... and a curved profile.   Scott Iott on a recent podcast even admitted to buying a pair and finding they helped his lower leg issues.  So if a sub 3:10 IM runner (that's a BQ time FWIM) says they work... and are not just for masters athletes.... then I believe him.

A few other things I'm wanting to try.  I want to get and even lower stem and really maximize my aero.  I'm not totally sure if going a few mm lower will save me a couple watts, but I feel like I can go lower, so it's worth a try.  Since I have no spacers now, it will be easy to add a couple in.  I'm also toying with going to a single chainring, again to improve aero.  I'm OK with grinding up hills a little and train that way, so I'm not seeing a major disadvantage.  I think a 50 or 52 chainring will work fine with a 11-28 or 11-32... or 11-34 MTB cassette.  I'll want a long cage for the last 2 options.  I've run it through some calculators and it's very tempting.  I think the aero savings as 2-3 watts, so not chump change.  Adding 5W to my FTP is a lot of work, so 2-3W at 70.3 pace is substantial.

By The Numbers:
Swim: 1h, 4300y
Bike: 1h40m, 34mi
Run: 0, 0
Strength: 2h40m
TOTAL: 5h20m
TSS: 284

The lightest training week for me in....ummmm....uhhhhh.... crap, 3 years?  Maybe that's a good thing.  I should have been this light the 2 weeks after IMWI... but hey, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment