Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up 12-09-14

I feel like I'm finally making some progress on the ITBS.  PT exercises 2x a day including stretching.  I hit the massage therapist pretty hard the last 2 weeks and I think that helped too.  I've done short 5-7' runs twice the last 4 days and it was OK, but my glut still feels a little tight.  When I lie on my back and pull my knee towards my opposite shoulder it's very tight and a little sore and there's a dull pain for a few seconds after I release it.  This seems like my litmus test.  Until my right hip and ITB feels pain free like the left, I'm not healed.

In terms of training I had a solid, consistent week including a 2-1/2 hours ride on Sunday and I feel a lot better.  Plus the air and water temperatures in the pool and humidity levels are finally pleasant again so it's time to for a good swim focus through Feb to take advantage of that if possible.

Bike position - I think I'm at my limits of how low I can go and still see up the road and get my head into a good tuck with my helmet tail still flat to my back.   I need to get the screen shots I finally found of my at IMWI.  I can compare them to my ahem.... rival and maybe point out 3 reasons why despite being identical in height and him weighing at least 5lbs less,  he rode 1 minute slower (moving time) on 20W more power.  This is important.  You could take someone super aero and powerful like Sebastian Keinle, and put him in the average position at IMWI, and instead of riding something like 4:20 on that course, he would ride closer to 5:00.  I should actually plug the numbers in on BBS.  I did the same with a client of mine and showed how if he could improve his position, his 5:00 split at IM Maryland, could be closer to 4:30 at his current FTP. By being more efficient, the curse effectively becomes shorter, which in turn allows you to ride even harder.  A 5 hour bike leg is paced different than a 4-1/2 hour split and a 4 hour split even faster still.

What is need to do is increase my reach just a little.  I unfortunately cut my extensions short.  SO instead I'm going to move my pads to the opposite side of the clamps, ten shift the pads back so they are only about 5mm further forward that before.   But that will gain me approx. 10-12mm more extension length.  I'm already on a -35 degree 110mm stem with zero spacers but back to the stock headset cap.

Since I don't have access to a wind tunnel, I'm careful not to mess with changes that are more unpredictable.  So hydration will stay the same (torpedo bottle backwards in front of stem) as will my pad spacing with  and extension angle.

I must admit, it's pretty aggressive.  With the extra weight I'm carrying (impact neck flexibility a little) and winter vest and long sleeve jersey, I was had to "pop-up" to look more than 100y down the road and most of the time just 30-50y. Not ideal.  But I can always throw a spacer or 2 back or get another stem.

This week I'm on call for work again, so I threw in some testing and make it a lighter recovery week.  I have some vacation coming up after this, so I'll have a chance to get in a few longer rides and do some organizing and chores at home.

By the Numbers:

Swim - 4h07m, 18,000y
Bike - 8h24m, 164mi
Strength - 1h10m
Run (its not zero ya!) - 1.0mi, 0h10m
TOTAL - 13h51m
TSS - 921

No comments:

Post a Comment