Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up 01/06/15

Slowly coming out of this flu.   Lungs are maybe 95%... so back to mostly normal training.  I think i have 4 more days of the cough and sinus crap.

Winter finally arrived.  It's Jan!  -1F overnight, getting up to a balmy 2F by afternoon than -8F Wed. night.  Time to fully embrace the trainer, treadmill and break out the really heavy tights and run gear.   On the flip side, the pool gets really nice this time of year.  Water and air are a little cooler and indoor humidity drops.  Perfect!   I found my stroke again yesterday, but didn't have the arms to really make use of it.  But I felt pretty fluid overall.  It's definitely just a small shift in body position and my catch.  I think it's mostly a matter of getting my streamlined, rather than delivering propulsion more effectively.  It's very, very subtle, but it yields 3-5s per 100y... a pretty big bump.

My goal of 1,000,000y swimming in 2015 is pretty ambitious.  Not sure if I'll make it, but it will be a nice challenge trying so long as I don't completely despise the pool by August.

I've strung together 5 days of running in a row... 6 out of 7.   That's HUGE!   A real milestone.  No pain, but I was smart about not pushing my limits.  Longest run was 3.2 miles with just 2 brief periods of walking.  I'll take it.  As of this moment, I think I could run at least the first 8 miles in Kona.  that's a 4h57m.  Hey, not the end of the world.  That's could still be a sub 11 and finishing before sunset.

That might sound like defeat.  But it's actually a bit empowering.  It's a carrot to stay focused on my PT efforts, to keep driving that time down.  My real goal is a run split PR...despite the heat.  So a 3:20.  That's ambitious, but that never stopped me before.  My stretch goal is toe the line and race my "arch rival" Scott Iott almost side by side all day long.  An opportunity that was so close all 3 races in 2014, but never materialized.

By numbers:

Swim: 3h30m, 15,050y
Bike: 7h52m, 151mi
Run: 1h57m, 14.6mi
Strength: 30m
Total: 13h49m
TSS: 901


Fun fact... despite being a "off week" due to illness and holidays, that as much training overall that I did  in my "big" weeks in 2012.  A little perspective is always nice.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be nice.

    It's fun to have a rival. It's called racing. I have tons of respect for all the guys that race at thus level every year and am privledged to toe the line with these guys.
    I try and balance being cocky & confident with a bit of more humble reality of my limitations.

    It's a blog. I speak my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... Ironman "38" if you want to criticize me, at least have the courage to do it with an account that's not anonymous.

    ReplyDelete