Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, February 16, 2015

2015 Race Schedule & Weekly Wrap-up 02/16/15

Here's my tentative 2015 Race Schedule

02/08 - Kroc Center Indoor Triathlon - Quincy, IL
03/08 - Shamrox 15k - Columbia, MO
03/13 - Quincy Family YMCA Indoor Triathlon
05/03 - Trizou Sprint Tri - Columbia, MO
05/16 - Bridge the Gap 1/2 Marathon - Quincy, IL
05/24 - Madison 1/2 Marathon - Madison, WI (TBC IMWI Camp)
June ? - TBD
07/19 - Racine 70.3
08/16 - Pigman Long Course
10/10 - Ironman World Championship


This was a recovery and testing week.  I skipped the run test, as I felt I hadn't really improved any in terms of a short duration test, and the weather wasn't suitable for an outdoor test this time.  Plus the day i had it planned, Ok, ok, here's the real answer, I stupidly had a big lunch and was too bloated to crank out sub 6' miles.

Swim test went great and broke 13:00 for the first time in the 1000TT.  Felt great doing it.  I then set a new 5' power record and based on that I knew my FTP test would likely go well.  I rode 334W for 20' for a new FTP of 317W!   A alltime record.  I never tested over 310W last year, thought I set my FTP at 315 just before IMWI feeling that it best represented where I was at.   Now to drop some weight and put it all together.

By the end of this build block, I'll have a solid overall training load and descent run fitness as well.  I'l then continue to  hone in on sustained upper Z4 efforts with some Z5 tossed in.  Similar to crit training.  This is because the race I'm tapering for, for fun, is a sprint distance on a hilly course with lots of turns.  You can't pedal through several turns, so I need to practice putting is a threshold or slightly above effort then recover quickly in the turns. But manage my output to above spikes in power at the same time.  So not quite like a crit exactly, but some similarities.  I think this fits nicely with early season long course training, as it's so different overall.   My weekly long ride however, continues to be a long tempo ride.  So I'm not ignoring longer efforts, but not many 3+ hour rides either.

Motivation comes a goes a little.  It's never easy sustaining a high level and training solo all the time.  Especially deep into winter training.  Plus plenty going on outside of training as well.  I continue to be impressed by those that do this year in and year out at a high level.

By the numbers:
Swim: 2h49m, 12,450y
Bike: 5h02m, 90.7mi
Run: 2h48m, 22.3mi
Strength:2h15m
Total: 12h54m
TSS: 771

2 comments:

  1. Mike,

    I have been a longtime reader of your blog. I have found your writing to be both enjoyable and insightful as I pursue my own journey of attempting to qualify for Kona at Wisconsin in September. I was pleased to read in your most recent post that you are tentatively planning on racing Racine in July. I ended up biting on WTC's Full/Half deal in order to guarantee myself entry into Wisconsin, so I am very much looking forward to racing you, albeit in a different age group.

    Thanks for the thoughtful guidance you provide with your blog.

    Best regards,

    Jordan Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I did a little "stalking". Very solid results and steady progress. Looks like I'll be playing catch-up after the swim. Unfortunately in different age groups we'll be racing on paper, not head to head. I'll have my hands full with the usual suspects in my age group. Keep working on that run. You had a great run in Mt. Tremblant a couple years ago, but as you know, to KQ, you better be under 3:20 or 3:15 unless you can lay down a very fast bike split... or get a little lucky. Don't be a stranger at Racine. TrainingBible Coaching should have a tent there at the event with at least 4 of us racing. TBC has a Memorial Day Weekend IMWI Training Camp if your interested. I definitely recommend getting up there once to ride some laps either way.

    Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete