Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, November 25, 2013

Weekly Wrap-up - Nov. 24th

Another week flys by. 

The countdown clocks are still rolling:
140 days to NOLA 70.3
286 days to IMWI

Weekly Metrics:
6 Runs - 45 miles
5 Swims - 13,000yards
5 Rides (4 on trainer) - 122mi

I worked in some tempo efforts on both my bike and runs this week and really felt it.  Especially on the bike.  The staple workout being the fundamental 2x20 tempo workout.  I think in another week I cna make that a SST (Sweet Spot Tempo) effort at least once a week.  ICYC... "Sweet Spot" is a tempo pace right on the edge between zone 3 & zone 4.  It's as hard as you can ride tempo without it becomming a threshold workout.   Once you slide into threshold, you recovery times go up and overall volume of quality drops.   I'm lacking the leg strength to hold that SST effort just yet.  SOme of that may be specifity of the trainer.  I think I could do that easily outdoors.

Swimming continues to progress pretty well.  I did short set of just 100 IM in the middle of the week and it didn't feel too bad.  I can easily hold a 1:20-1:22 for 100 repeats @ 1:30.  Maybe not 40 of them at that pace, but probably at least 30.  I think once I get ot being able to to a set of 10 @ 1:25 comming in at 1:15-1:18, I'll "be there" and will end my swim focus and switch to more maintenance yardage for most the rest of the season as long as I can stay at that level.

Thsi week I'll ramp I'll bump my run mileage back up a little but keep some tempo efforts in there.  I'll reduce the tempo efforts, but increase my overall intensity slightly.  Based on my current reading with recommended heart rate zones, I'm running a little slow I think on my longer runs.  My tempo is right on and my recovery runs are good too.

Power Meter-
The more I read, the more I realize that thsi really is a key training tool for bike pacing.  There's just too much vairability in HR and RPE.  Plus it can be used to measure and qualitify adjustments in position and aerodynamics more accurately. 

Triathlon Team/Club-
I'm getting estimates for liability coverage, but I have a feeling this will only work as a YMCA sponsored group/class until we have at least about 40-50 members.  But that's not a terrible thing.  I really think this could really help build interest especially in youth triathlon in the area.  I think it could also help build youth swimming and another spin-off could be a running club.  There's have been cycling clubs in the past, but they weren't competition focused.  Cycling from my experience is a little too serious for most people.  It's very structured and road racing is as mcuh abotu strategy as it is individual effort and performance.

At this point I'm still sticking with my overall time goals so far.  For August races, I think makiing Pgman and Olympic makes more sense.  Doing a double 70.3 just 3 weeks out from my IM is probably pushing it and a little too risky.  Better to do a faster race that I can recover from more quickly going into a final taper period.  The other option would be to do the 70.3 but do the run at only IM pace.  But I don't really like the idea of doing a race and not racing.  Better to race the Olympic and throw in an easy 4-5 mile run afterwards.

TO combat Thansgiving weight gain, I'll take advantage of the 4 day weekend and bump up my volume just a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment