Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up 06/30/14

Pretty solid training week.  Back on track to building fitness in the last run-up to the big race.  68 days left...that's just 10 weeks as of Sunday morning.  It's starting to get real.  I have no doubts about the bike.  I'm confident I can pull together a solid run.   The swim continues to have me a little concerned.  Mostly, of how much it might take out of me mentally and physically after swimming 1 hour straight.   My swim just isn't where I hoped it would be.  But its not bad.   Hopefully I'll have a good OWS in one of the next 3 races and that will build some more confidence.  I guess it's a good problem to have to only be concerned that I won't swim under 1 hour.  There's worse issues, and quite a few of the top AG finishers last year swam 1:02-1:05.  Its' not that big of a deal.   Lots of opportunity to get that back.

Y-athlon - Sicne it was a "C" race, there's no point in a dedicated race report.  It ultimately was a brick workout.... and my times reflect that.  I already had mentally checked out pretty early in the swim.  The whole race was about pride and getting a solid training day.  I swam 4:26 or about 1:11 with the zig zag factored in (375y).   I can;t really complain about that.  My arms were dead pretty early on.  I probably went out a little fast.  I must have opened with about a 32, because the next swimmer started about when I touched the wall.   I slowed quite a bit after that.   Transition was a little sloppy, I had issues getting my sunglasses on.  I need to remember to put them on first, then the helmet and fix the straps later.  I did get both toes into my shoes and only had to fix the heel a 1/4 mi up the road.
The bike went alright.  I never found a good rythem with the road surface quality, stop signs, turns and hills.  I probably could have ridden the hills a little more aggressive and suffered just a bit more.  I really should have rode like there was no run.   But I checked out again, pretty early on and just brought it home.  Legs definitely didn't feel like Kansas.  I probably run sub 33 if I felt that good.  Rode 34:53 or 23.2mph corrected (short 13.5mi course).  Not bad with the hills and such.  I overcooked on of the fast downhill tunrs and just stayed inside the double yellow.
T2 was OK.  I fumbled with my Garmin for the 1st 1/4 mi.   I probably would have run faster without it.  I might ditch it for Geode and run by feel, but I'd love to have the data.  Tough call.
Overall not bad.  I was actually slower by I think 20 seconds than last year, but it was hotter and a moderate 10mph wind on the bike.

By the numbers:
Swim: 2h31m, 10875y
Bike: 9h55m, 219mi
Run: 4h28m, 36.1mi
TOTAL: 18h28m

My training plan calls this "base 3, week 1".   So I'm back to a base building period after a short transition form my first "A" race.  I sort of wish I had rested a little more now, but I have a partial taper and a recovery week coming up after a "Hell week".  I really had some trouble with motivation swimming.  It was hot and humid and I transitioned to swimming outdoors at a neighbors lap pool.  The YMCA is almost unuseable for workouts when the outdoor dewpoint is over even 65F.  Fortunately the hot weather broke, so I have a window to get in some good swims.  

Not making much progress on weight management like I wanted.  I think it's impacting my running.   I run a lot better at 160-162 than 164-165.  I'll keep working on it, but I won;t let it be too much of a distraction.  I just need to make some better nutrition decisions.   The challenge is that with a high volume week, even with lower intensity, I need o refuel to keep thing rolling.  Hopefully it melts off somewhat on it's own.

I had pretty good runs and bike rides despite the humidty otherwise.  I felt pretty strong on my long ride on Sunday even after racing the day before.

Moving forward, I'm putting some long rides back in.   A friend and fellow racer that done I think 9 IM's and very successful, mentioned that they really represent a big opportunity for building fitness for the IM distance.... without beating you up.  So I'll do a 4-1/2 hour ride on the 4th of July.  Then after my on-call week, I'll use my day off for putting in an epic 6 hour ride after a morning swim.  I'm tempted to do it right off the swim.  Maybe target about 125 miles.  Ride very low zone 2 and try to get to 290-300 TSS.  I have a long run planned for tomorrow.  18mi, but if my legs are "ON" and I'm OK on time, I might throw in 1 bonus mile possibly.  Target bike mileage is 300 for the week.  Some zone 1-2 recovery rides in there to make that happen.

Lets see if I survive the week.  IF I do, I'll hit my early summer fitness peak.  I'll just pass that just before Steelhead before starting a long period of recovery/taper/race.

No comments:

Post a Comment