Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, July 7, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up 7/07/14

I survived Hell Week... barely.  I think my wife barely survived it too.  That makes me think i need to dial it back just a bit, be satisfied where I'm at in my overall fitness and try and reduce the number of workouts and free up a little more time overall.

Moving forward that mean just 1 more 100mi ride, and one 20 mi run.  I'll do both the week after next since I'll have a free day off coming and I might take a 1/2 day as well for the long run as well and make my training a little more invisible that week.

In other news, Hyvee is off the table.  I think it will be a distraction, a financial burden and ultimately not enough of a benefit to risk ratio.  I think I'm just outside the prize money anyway the way I've been performing in shorter distances.  It could have been fun, but also could have been a disappointment and lots of stress, which would work against me going into my big race.  Maybe something to consider for next year.

Training Summary:
The week included a long run and 2 long rides with a mix of other runs a rides to  round out the week.  OF special note was my epic  4-1/2 hour ride to round out the week.  My 68mi ride turned into a 92mile slog trying to avoid major highway in IL farm country.  It was a real mental test more than anything.  With hte sun, the humidity, and overall weekly load, I was pretty spent and still have 20 miles ahead of me.  That turned into 26, as I rode 10 miles, never found a crossroad I was hoping for and only got 4 miles closer.  Add to it a solid 15-20mph gusty wind.  Did I mention the water crossing at 10 miles out?   Oh, ya, well lets say that the good news is that the Stages power meter is waterproof to at least 12" as advertised, but freehubs are not.  I rode the last 30 miles without a working freehub and could't stop pedaling.

My real challenge now is getting my swim form improved.  My motivation to swim continues to be challenged.  I'm going to just cut back a little, make sure I'm swimming with good form and go from there.

By the numbers:
Swim: 3h08m, 13,400y
Bike: 15h36m, 324mi
Run: 6h23m, 51mi
Total: 26h07m, 1490TSS

I bolded the most significant elements.  This puts me at a new high of 165.8 for overall CTL.  I'll maintain that for a few days, but I won't crest that again, even at the end of July.  I'm the fittest I'll be, and maybe the fittest I'll ever be again in my lifetime...at least in terms of training load.  I just don't see myself pushing this hard next year.  I think I'll get my bike a little higher, and I'll train smarter overall, and might be a little faster just from accumulated fitness, but my training load probably will never peak again at this level.  Its' a little sad, but at the same time and moment to celebrate my accomplishments and hard work.

So just 1 more long run, 1 more long bike and it's a very long downhill slide to Sept even from this point.  Keep in mind, just maintaining where I'm at in terms of fitness still takes a lot of work.

This week is a partial taper headed into Lake Geode.  This will be my only Olympic distance race this year, there some prize money on the line... and I certainly have some bills to pay... and I would still like to get a compact crank for IMWI.  Since I'm a little spent, I'll probably dial things back and bit this week try and turn in a good performance.






1 comment:

  1. Nice story on the biking fiasco. Good luck at Lake Geode. I think Barb and I are going to start running the trails there.

    ReplyDelete