Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, December 16, 2013

Weekly Wrap-up 12/15/13

This weeks totals:

Swim - 9850y, 2:59h
Bike - 86.6, 4:38h
Run - 34.6, 4:39h
Strength - 2:15h

Pretty good week.  Just 2 weeks left of preperation phase, which is sort of the "calm before the storm".  The focus continues to be on drills and imrpoving my economy in all disciplines.  I think I've made some good improvements in my swim technique that should pay off.  Right now I feel faster withotu goign as hard.  Because of specifity, I actually lost a little top end speed, but I feel like my effciency is better.  The speed will come back as my muscles adapt to the change.  It might take a few weeks.  But I have plenty of time.

I di my first snowy run of the season.  I got out the Kinvara Trail shoes and went for it.  They performed pretty well.  Saturdays' run was in 6" of heavy wet snow for over a 1/2 mile near the beginning and end.  That dropped my pace down to 8:25 for the whole run.  IT was tryinf to stay in zone run.  That meant dropping to about a 13:00 mile going uphill in the snow.  It was a interesting high knee, high recovery kick technique.  I kept the strides very short and tried to maintain my normal cadence.

I had a little scare this morning.  I dropped a 10lb weight on my foot.  I was unracking the weights and got distracted, then went to remove the 45lb and forgot I had a 10lb in front of it.   It's just a good solid bruise for right now and thanksfully doesn't hurt to walk on it or push off the wall or kicking swimming, so I think I dodged a bullet.

I finished reading the Triathlete Training Bible by Joe Friel.   I think I'm pretty well preparred to put together my season, monitor my progress and make changes as needed.   In other words, coach myself. 

The one debate I'm having now is whether or not to do a "Big Day".   It's not somethign elites normally do.  But since this will be my first IM, it might not be a bad idea.  I think the risk is manageable. The downside is that I'll have to drop 1 or 2 breakthrough workouts the following week for recovery.  It might fit in well in my 2nd short base period in July.  It will be something to think about.  OTOH, I might beenfit more form a 6 hour bike with a solid 1 hour run afterwards.  That still forces me into a solid nutrition plan without pushing myself too far into a long run.  So recovery is reasonable.           

No comments:

Post a Comment