Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Weekly Wrap-up 12/29/13

Had a great Christmas with the family.  My triathlon gifts included a Timex Bike Computer to go with my  Stages power meter that's on order.  Hopefully it's only 3 weeks out so I can do my next threshold  test with power.

I did manage my first outdoor ride yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks.  It  was a short easy ride, but felt good to get out and dodge some potholes in the unseasonably warm weather.

This week wraps up the end of my Preparation Phase.  Now the real work starts.  Strength training picks up intensity and overall volume ramps up significantly.  The week was focused on recovery and testing.  The first was a run test.  It was a 1 mile run at 8-10 beats below threshold.. or in other words high end of zone 3 tempo, or a running "sweet spot tempo" (SST) if you will.  I did this on the treadmill and managed a 6:03.  Pretty good.  The swim test followed, but apparently I was nursing a stomach bug and it kicked in.  I suffered through the 1000M and swam a miserable 1:26 pace overall.  I guess that's a baseline, but I know I can go a lot faster.   The stomach bug knocked me down a bit.  I skipped a strength training session, but that's all.

Today I did a cycling threshold test.  I surprised myself a little.  I also went in with a CTL of 7.6, so very well rested.  My legs didn't disappoint and hung in there.  I use the Sufferfest "Rubber Glove" video and in a 20 minute TT I held an average of 168bpm, finishing the last 2 miles with and average of 175.  That's actually higher than I thought I was capable of.  So that will bump up all of my zones the next couple weeks a little.... until I get my power meter.  

Weekly totals:

Swim - 9300y, 2h48m
Bike - 79.3mi, 4h23m
Run - 25.7mi, 3h17m
Strength - 1:05
TOTAL - 11h33m

I'm definitely looking forward to more intensity.  While hard, that TT effort made me miss harder workouts.  Bring it on.











































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment