Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ironman Wisconsin 2014 Race Report - Mission Accomplished!!!

This will be a long one....

Wow.  I can't say much more.  Well, if you know me, then your laughing already because you know I can say a lot more than that.  But honestly, just sitting down to write this is bringing back some of the same emotions from the last 3 miles on the run, crossing the line, the Kona slot allocation.  First was committing to doing a IM.   Then signing up, then raising the bar and deciding that I could qualify for Kona.  Finally was a full season of training, sacrificing, a few ups and downs, a lot of anxiety of the pressure I put on myself to not only toe the line for my first IM, but to execute well enough to take on some of the best triathletes in the country.  I never doubted that I would finish.  But stepping off the bike, I was in unknown territory.

Before I get onto the race report, I have to thank a few people.  First my wife for supporting me all season.  I know it was hard for her to see me spend so much time away from my family chasing after is what we all know is ultimately a selfish pursuit.  I tried to find a balance.  I think overall I did a good job, but it wasn't easy.  2nd I want to thank my friends Barb & Mark Smidt for coming out this weekend and cheering me on.  I could count on seeing them each lap and get updates on my position.  Unfortunately I never saw my wife & daughter.  They were always standing opposite where I had my visual focus at that moment.   But I knew they were there.  Finally I want to thank all the individuals and companies that donated to the Lupus Foundation of America, Iowa Chapter.

RACE REPORT:

Pre-Race:
3:00AM = I actually slept pretty well.  Woke up a bunch of times, but went back to sleep.  I did have a little snack around 3AM, but that wasn't planned. But if you know hotels, you can hear when everyone else is getting up if you below the top floor.  All the toilets start flushing and you get the sense that it's time to get 

3:45AM - Alarm was set for 3:50, but I'm up and ready to go.  Oddly a little less nervous than expected.  Do my business get ready eat my prerace meal of a banana, oatmeal, 2% greek yogurt with honey, 16oz of sports drink, some water and a coffee for the road.  I carried with me 2 more 16oz bottles of perform for prerace, plus 1 waffle and 1 powergel.

4:25AM - I met up with Brian Gonzales, who I met on Facebook.  We stayed at the Sheraton and walked over to the Alliant Center to catch a shuttle.  When I'm anxious I talk.  So it was great to have someone to talk to on the ride over and walking to transition.  Great think about triathlons is that ultimately, we're all at the same event and there's a sense of camaraderie and community.  We couldn't have been more polar opposites in overall goal or performance.  I'm in awe of folks that can finish an event lasting 15+ hours.  We arrived around 4:55, perfect timing.  Line wasn't too long.

5:00AM - Set-up went easy.  I borrowed a pump from a guy racked next to me, set my bike up, triple checked everything and headed to my transition bags to drop off my watch and pre-open my stinger waffles... and double check my bags... not that I could really do anything about it at this point anyway.  Then found a nice spot to sit for a bit, try and take some deep breaths and relax.  Hit the restroom one last time and put some more sunscreen on.

6:00AM - made my way to the swim start.   Try and contact my wife and meet up with her before dropping my morning bag.  I take my time getting my wetsuit bottom on.   I'm wearing a borrowed Blue Seventy Helix (thanks again Josh Madsen) for the first time other than a short pool swim.  But a Medium-Tall, fits perfect.  I send out a last text and drop off my bag.  I slip into the rest of the suit and find someone that looks calm and ask them if they can zip up my suit.  He obliges and we chat for a bit... because you know me. (now I know where my daughter gets it from).

6:35AM - Get in line for the water.  Its' pretty calm.  I'm feeling a little better and ready to get going.  It's not as chaotic as I thought.  Water temp is reported at 71F.  Damn near perfect.  Feels awesome.   I survey the scene.  I thought about fighting it out on the buoy line, but it already looks a bit crowded.  I instead go to the right of the ski jump.  I pull to the left, so I'll slowly curve into clear water with the gap form the ramp.  The start line is actually angled slightly, so I think it's not all that much of a longer swim starting wide.  I hang on the ski jump for most of the 20 minute wait and chat with the guys around me.  Most are slower than my goal, though 1 guys is a low 50 swimmer.

6:58 - the wind/current if pushing us away from the start line which is really good.  But I keep having to edge my way onto the front.   A few more guys slide towards the front.  The tension builds a bit.

6:59 - 1 minute warning.  I get into a prone position and scull on my front and get clear water around my body and sort of countdown in my heat.  I take deep breaths and relax.  I know what I need to do.  I've trained or it, I'm fit, I'm ready.

SWIM - Cannon goes off and I put my head down, kick hard, hammer 4 or 5 chopped strokes then take a breath and start stretching it out.  I'm clear of the main field and there's a faster swimmer pulled by on my right and a ways over to the left.  I keep easing back a bit.  I slide just into the draft of a group of 3 or 4 and just hold that pace.  It's a pretty relaxed pace, just what I wanted.  I'm between 2 swimmers, so there's not a lot of sighting needed.  The mass drifts to the left as we near the first turn.   It comes up fairly quick. There's a bit of contact but no big deal.  I'm about 15' outside of the marker.  I'm now seeing the same pick and white cap near me most of the time. The next turn comes up quick.  A little more contact this time. and we're onto the main straight.

One beauty of being a stronger swimmer (I still won't call myself fast) is that you get to swim with other strong swimmers that usually swim straight, pace evenly, and make small waves.  I look around and it's a large pack of I'd guess 30 or so swimmers stretched out over 10-20 seconds.  The pace feels nice and relaxed.   I focus on a nice catch and long even stroke, steady kick and try and get into a nice rythem with my kick while still sighting ever 8-10 strokes.   I normally breath on my left, but I take a few breaths on my right to take in the view of the Monona Terrace with the early morning light on it and capital building in the background.  I haven't done a lot of races, but this is by far.... hands down, the more beautiful swim in the best conditions I've ever been in.  I adjust my stroke to swim a little more straight.  I keep veering inside the buoys here and there, but not too bad.   Part way on the straight I realize that 1) this pack is clearly off the front,  and 2) I'm doing my first IM and I'm having a great swim.  All anxiety I had about the day disappears and it's replaced with complete confidence.  What a perfect way to start the day.  If I just sit in here, My guess is that I'll probably swim I think a 58-59.  I'm hoping that Scott Iott is 1-2 minute behind but I suspect he's somewhere in this group.  I've picked him and another as my main rivals, though you never know who shown up.   But I suspect there's a good chance if we both have good days, that I'll be within 3-5 minutes of Scott the entire race.

Before I know it I can see the 3rd turn up ahead.  Then the 4th and the final stretch.  Now you can sense the excitement building.  It gets a little more congested and crowded and the pace seems to pick up.  Even with earplugs you can start to hear the crowds and Mike Reilly.  Wow... I just swam 2.4 miles and I'm sure it was under 60 minutes.   It was the easiest, more relaxed and by far, the best swim I've ever had in my life.  Perhaps the most important thing, and it sounds funny, but I burped several times, and didn't suck in any waves.

TIME 59:50

T1
a big pack comes out of the water together so it's a little congested b not bad.  Find a wetsuit stripper and drop down, they yank it off and I'm off and running towards the helix with my suit over my shoulder.   I have to focus on not running too fast.  It's not a 70.3 or Olympic.  I get my bag, go to the next room, pull out my glass, put them on, helmet on, grab my shoes, leave my bag, cap, goggles and wetsuit on the chair and volunteer says he's "got it" so I take off.   Suprise, suprise, jogging next to me is Scott Iott.  He's wearing a light blue race kit not the read one.  He asks how the swim went for me.  I said really well.  We came out of the water 20 seconds apart.  I must have ran faster up the helix or something.  We run to our bikes, the volunteers help up unrack them (since we have shoes in our hand) and run to the exit.  It's a very long transition area.  Stop at the line, shoes on and jump on the bike, just behind Scott.   This is all too familiar.  That's 3 races now we're within 5-10 seconds at the T1 exit.

TIME 5:39

BIKE - 1st lap
We make our way down the helix conservatively and onto the bike path and roll past some "Fish".  Pretty spread out.  Out onto the stick, it's a light headwind.   My power plan has me around 215-220 with 225-230 for a headwind.  Scott's pace is pushing that a bit, especially up the hills.  I try and get nice and aero, relaxed.   As usual I wait about 15 minutes to drink anything to make sure any air or lake water is settled out of my stomach.  I finally just let Scott go and stick to my plan.  He's heard my boast of riding under 5 hours.  He looks like he's on pace for it.  I know that I tend to get stronger as the ride goes on.  The power feels easy, and my legs feel strong, but my energy isn't there yet.   I keep passing "fish" and 1 or 2 faster riders go past.  I pass a couple pro females I think.  I suspect one of them is of course Thomas Brunold.  But I don't know what he looks like.  Doesn't matter since he's in a different age group.

I turn off the stick and I'm all alone, and had to double check that I turned the right way.  It's already a lonely ride.  I settle in for a mostly lonely stretch to Mt. Horeb.  But it's also one of my favorite stretches.

I hit Garfoot and take it a little conservative the first time down, plus there's a car on the course going the other way.  I rail through the turns.   Through Cross Plains, get another bottle.  I nailing all my exchanges so far.  I'm only carrying 1 regular cage plus an aero bottle as a reserve.

The 3 sisters section goes well.  I just ride to my power.  Easy.  Really no big deal.  a 39-28 keeps my around 75-80RPM at 280-310 watts or about 90-100% FTP.  One pro female stands up and attacks the hills.  I almost asked her if she was sure that was a good idea.  She had to have been at 150% going up that hill.  I just sit and spin up and make sure I don't ride too hard.  The crowd were amazing.  The typical comment was "your making it look easy".  An truthfully, it was easy.  That's how it should be.  If your breathing hard at any point, you will pay for it on the run.  Verona is slightly downhill and fast!  That's the only time I missed a bottle exchange, but i got the 2nd.  The streets are smooth and wide and you feel like a rock start rolling through at 25+ mph.

NUTRITION - I actually exceed my target slightly and consume about 124oz of Perform, maybe 6oz of water, 6 powergels, 2 stinger waffles.  I eat about 2240 calories, or about 430 calories per hour.  Stomach felt good overall the whole way.  Never hungry, never sloshing or too full.  I just kept taking food.   Perfect.   Maybe the most important element to IM racing.  They say it's the 4th discipline in long course.  So far, I seem to be nailing it.

Bike - 2nd lap
I start lap 2 and I see Scott Iott up ahead.  So I'm sort of hoping that maybe he went out too fast and is already in trouble.  A few miles later I pass him and he tells me he got stung by a bee.  I'm like...damn that sucks, but it turns out the impact of that was detrimental.  Just like getting a flat, mechanical, crash... that's not how you want to beat someone.  I want to win because everyone showed up and had their best race that day.  Pretty soon we're into a group of 4 riders.  We hit the rollers going into Mt Horeb and it's yo-yoing really bad.  I feel like the overall effort is too low, so I finally roll past the group... look down and see 360W... and it jumps to 400W cresting a hill-watts....Ugh...not good.  I settle in at the lead.  A few hills later Scott rolls around and asks how I'm feeling.  I settle in behind him and try to hold what I thing is 7m... or 4-5 bike lengths.  We hit another roller and I ease off but roll up just into his draft zone.  I do the wrong thing and let myself roll back and hope it goes unnoticed.  In reality I'm supposed to either 1) ride 350-400W to pass him or 2) anticipate the hill and open my gap as large as needed to stay out of his draft.  I do neither and guess what.... there's an official wit ha stopwatch.  Say I was in the draft zone for 1 minute... so not just a stop and go, it's a red card.   F***!   I told her I though that was still 7m... and after the race one of the others guys through that was marginal too.   But it's illegal to argue and honestly I'd rather so them calling it tight then no officals at all.  I saw more officals in that race than I've seen in maybe all my triathlons combined.  But that's what happens when your at the front of the race going for Kona slot.   Fair enough, I should know better.   She nicely explains I have to report to the next tent.  It's my first penalty ever.

When I pass Scott again on a hill after Mt. Horeb.  I tell him about the penalty..  he got a good laughs.  I tell him "like you needed a 4 minute head start on the run".  I love racing with these guys.  Serious, focused but can have a good time doing it.   Honestly, if it was legal, I would have just assumed ride side by side up most of the climbs and chatted with a few of these guys.  Actually, now that I've done an Ironman, draft legal would make for a race that's more fun with some really interesting tactics.  A lot of time the race just felt like a long training day, except for the crowds, aide stations, transitions and timing chip.

I pushed the pace and took a few risks on the descent on Garfoot and pushed the pace just a bit on the flat section to Cross Plains.... and stopped at the penalty tent.  Duhm...duh, duhm, duhm, daaahhhhm.   I told them I got pinched for drafting, red card.  She hit the stop watch and set it on my seat.  I stretched out got a drink and chatted with them for a bit.  They were glad I wasn't all pissy and complaining about it.  Hey, its' part of racing.  You either ride far away from people, or take that risk.  about 30 seconds later I see Scott roll past.

Over the next 30 minutes I put down my highest wattage of the whole ride and sail through the sister.  I have tons of energy, feeling good and the crowds are now really thick and your hitting lapped riders.  I feel almost guilty just spinning up, hitting my watts, eating a gel, getting a drink (no aero penalty to refuel up steep hills).  I never stand up on the climbs other than to stretch out a little over the top.

I make the turn onto the stick and I'm all alone.... like really alone.  Feeling a little tired finally.  But legs are still strong overall.   We have a tailwind now so I take it easy and hold the watts a little lower.   Looks like I'll ride just over 5:05 but under 5:10.  I'm good with that with the penalty.  I pass 2 or 3 female pros, but otherwise see nobody for 40 minutes.  I have clear road for the turns around Alliant Center and the bike path.  I go a little aggressive, but not too crazy.  I get 1/2 way up the helix and realize I forget to get out of my shoes.   oops.   I hit the dismount like a little fast as usual, but stay on my feet.  I head indoors.

Looking at my numbers later... I laid it out there on the bike.  If I rode any harder, I'd definitely been walking at the end.

TIME 5:08
NP - 231W
AP - 220W
IF - 0.75 (FTP 308)
VI - 1.05
TSS - 286

T2
It's a ghost town.  Almost a little weird being the only one there.  A room full of chairs and there's like 5 volunteers trying to help me.  The volunteers are awesome all day.  Really ,really awesome.  I say thanks at every intersection on the bike the last 15 miles on the stick.

I Get my bag go to the next room and find a seat.   No real rush.  I'm pretty sure I'm 2nd or 3rd in my AG at this point.  I have to "redo" one sock that was crooked.  Shoes on, volunteer puts my number belt on me, puts on my visor, hands me my watch... and I'm out of there.

TIME: 2:36

RUN
The race has finally started.  My watch is still finding GPS signals, but it's pretty clear I'm running almost like it's a 70.3.   Whoah...there horsey.  I keep easing back, and try and find a pace that feels like a easy training run.   The next segment is mostly down hill, but I ultimately think I ran just a little too fast those opening miles and will pay for it later.  A 7:20-7:30 feels comfortable.  The dream of killing a 3:05-3:10 seem unrealistic.  I'm confident a solid 3:15-3:20 will guarantee a Kona a slot at this point.

I pass Daniel Bretscher going the other way around I think mile 4 or 5.   I clap and cheer and little.  He responds back with a "go Mike".  I think he's in 3rd, but not far behind and looking damn strong and focused.  I sense he's ready to take control of the race.

 I see 1 guy way ahead and over the next 4 miles slowly reel him in. He's in the 40-45 AG and Quebequois (French Canadian).  His name was Thierry (Guertin).  I start up a conversation and we end up running mostly together and chatting on and off for about 8 miles or so.  Wow, that makes the run go by much easier.  Ultimately it's a relatively easy run pace, like a training run.

Around mile 8 or so, we catch 1 guy walking...38y/o... I think its' Justin Henkel.  I've never met him so I can;t comment on what happened.  He's a very fast former pro and was a real threat.  Maybe over biked, nutrition, hard to say.  Stuff happens.  He must have killed the bike.  But looks like he's done for the day.  Up ahead I see a light blue trisuit... I'm floored.  I'm thinking no, way, it must be a pro or female with a similar girly light blue race kit (unlike my totally masculine purple one).  We next catch the leader in 40-45.  1 mile later I pass Scott walking up a hill.  I honestly feel bad.  Even a Kona slot is slipping away for him and he was on pace to win the AG.  That is not the way I ever wanted to beat him in a race.  I honestly had dreamed of the opportunity to be side by side most of the run in a real dual.  I later find out the bee sting made his foot totally numb.  He toughs it out for a 10:30. I honestly figured he had DNF'd.  Nothing wrong with trowing in the towel when a Kona slot is gone, there's nothing to gain, and you've done this race 3 times before.  But huge props to him to toughing it out and finishing.

State Street is rocking.   Hard not to run too fast here.  I see my friends Barb & Mark dressed in purple (great idea for those shorts I know what to look for).  Hard to even hear them.

Around mile 10 Joe Morrow streaks past.  Met him on Facebook.  Told him that he's the leader of the AG now.  I think he's totally shocked.  I tell him good luck, he's killing it.... but of course wonder if he'll blow up.  At the end of lap 1 turn round I get confused, read the sign wrong (not sure why there was no volunteer standing there... folks are a bit tired that late in the race and not thinking clearly).  I start heading down the finish chute (ahead of the 1st pro mind you).   I go 20 yards in and realize oops... this isn't right and turn around.  I catch back up to my runny buddy.

Thierry and I run together through about mile 14 or so and I slowly pulled away on a couple downhills and never saw him again.   I find out he faded really bad and just missed a KQ finishing in 6th.  That's hard. Great guy.   The next few miles are a blur but my quads were getting tight. around mile 15 I get a hamstring cramp.  I literally say out loud "no,no,on,no,no. no".  No way my dreams and ending here.   Hell no.   I massage it out while walking a few steps (always keep going forward).  It calms down and I continue on at a slightly slower pace.

Aide station get more challenging with lap traffic.  Downhills hurt, my quads are getting really tight and inside my thighs feel on the edge of cramping.  But I try and think positive thought, keep my form together, keep my legs going.  It's different than 70.3.  In 70.3 racing and Olympic, it's a cardo limiter and fatigue together.  You are just tired, worn out, energy levels are low, legs lose their sharpness.   But in this case, leg fatigue was incredible.  Not cramping, just very, very sore.  My energy levels were great.  I wasn't thirsty or hungry.   Stomach was taking whatever I could put down.  My mind wanted me to run faster.  My internal governer said it was time to go faster and run that negative split.  But my legs couldn't do it.

The shock to me was that my hamstrings were tight, but my calves, Plantaar faciitis, shin splits and hip flexor issues I'd had here and there in training were fine, perfectly fine.  Hell, my calves aren't even sore.  Makes me wonder if I'm running differently somehow off the bike than I do in training.

NUTRITION - I tried to grab all the fluids I could.  My stomach was a bottomless pit and seemed unaffected by when I put down.  I usually drank 2 waters (probably 2oz per cup) and 1-2 performs or coke.  I also ate 1 gel each hour and ate 3 banana halves and even munched on some grapes at one point.  I really think my cramping, given all I was eating, was neuromuscular not biochemical.   Meaning not electrolytes.  Rather lack of the right training stimulus for those muscles.  I think more strength training and hill repeats will help the next time. I think the seated climbing possibly took it's toll as well.

I take ice at most aide station and dump it down my suit.  The hles in my Kinvaras seem ot work well. I never notice major squish.

Due to the hamstring cramps and quads shutting down, my pace clearly started dropping around mile 18.  I was shocked later looking at my file and seeing I only slowed by about 0:30-0:40/mi.  felt like 1:00.  Now it's just going aide station to aide station, yelling on your left even though your barely passing folks on their first laps.  I see 3 motorcycles with the lead males between them up ahead.   Daniel battling for the win.  I shout "Go Daniel, Kill it!" as loud as I can over the crowds cheering.   I know he's going to win.

SIDENOTE... The pros put on a great show in both IMWI & IMKY with epic battles for the win in the final pro races for these awesome events.

It's survival mode.  I'm getting to the line damit.  Gone too far to fall apart now.  The mile tick by slower and slower now.  I'm holding steady at 8:00-8:15 pace.  I'm still running up the hills...if you call baby steps up hills running.  Downhills are brutal but I embrass the pain and let it fly.  Free speed and my hamstring don't care about downhills.

1 hour left.. I can run 1 hour.   NBD.  10k left.  I can run a 10k... that what people say?   Yup. that what you end up thinking.  5.2mi, 4.2mi, 3.2mi.... just 5k.

Around 2.5 miles out I hear someone yell in a vice as deep and loud as Mike Reilly (I'ts Aaron Apter from Facebook) "How bad do you want Kona!".  I literally yell out "ahhhhhhh" as loud as I can and pump my fists together.

24mi mark and you are heading back into town.  You start to feel the emotion.  All those training days, all that work, time, laps in the pool, miles on the trainer in the basement, running in heat, cold, snow, treadmills.  Whats more, there was the pressure and anxiety.  This was really my only shot... yes another "one shot at Kona".   But I'm not as talented as others in my age group and I can't commit this amount of training year in, year out.   This was it.  That was my chance.  My 1st IM and I know I had to probably go 9:45 or better.  And here I am.   I'm doing it.  It's so close.  Almost tearing up.  I'm 1/2 smiling, half grimacing in pain.  My legs are gone, totally gone, I'm rubbing out cramps every 1/4 mile but not stopping.  I skip the last aide station, it's crowded and hell, what's the difference now.

Last 1/2 mile!!!!   It's uphill, but the crowds are there, I've got this.  It's the same road I ran with my daughter Sat. morning in ironkids... I think I'm running the same 8:30 pace she was.  I start to soak it in and I'm clapping and smiling.  1/4 mile and there's special needs and the last turn to the end of the lap.  I didn't even have a bag there.

The last 100y is awesome.  You're a rock star!   You finished...high 5's to the crowd as I jog it in.  Both fists in the air and I'm yelling, shouting.  (I need to find that video).   And I hear it... "Mike Girard, you are, an Ironman".... and I'm going to Kona!  I'm still standing, but not by much.

RUN TIME: 3:21:16

FINAL TIME 9:37:34

15th overall
4th amateur
2nd 35-39

Took a bit to find my wife and friends... It so loud and my voice was gone at the finish, that I had to get a stranger to go bring them over 100' away.   Then I kneeled down to get a photo with my daughter and needed 2 people to lift me up...I had nothing in my legs.  Finally I saw Daniel Bretscher...IM champion Daniel Bretscher... 200' away and tried to yell his name... as I couldn't jog over there... Great now I know what it's like to be like 90 years old.  Congratulated him and got a picture with him.  Was such a huge help riding the course with the champ.  He trained his ass off and it paid off.

Looking at my results, it's just like my friend Josh Madsen says, I just get stronger as the day goes on.  87th out of the water (including pros), 22nd off the bike, 15th at the line.  I passed Thomas Gerlach out there.  I told him "Great effort Thomas, great effort".  I knew he laid it all out there to get 6th place or better.  The pros race a different race than the amateurs.   No shame in a DNF for them...or anyone in this long race. But there he was finishing it up walking it in.  He's raced I think almost every weekend since April.  Insane!

.... And now I understand.  Why people do this.  Nothing like it.  Yes the NBC coverage of Kona I've watched 10 times in my basement on the trainer believe it or not really does capture some of the reality of racing when he asks "Why this race, this distance".  I've won a local Olympic race and that's really cool, being in the lead and winning.  But nothing like this.  The most amazing athletic achievement of my life by a huge margin an all around my best race of the year in execution and pacing.  Not a dream race and I have a faster race still in me.  But on that day, I nailed it.

I got a chance to chat with Joe Marrow and the other guys in our age group.


TRAINING - You can check out my blog.  But I'll give you simple the summary.  Self coached.  I used the Traininpeaks Virtual Coach as a guide and was a "Student of Slowtwitch" and learned a lot by reading and consulting with other fast age group athletes.  Another fast guy, Scott Bowe told me that long rides were really important and why.  It made sense, so I changed my plan and threw in a few more long rides.  I followed roughly the BarryP plan and only did 1 20 mile run, 1 18 mile run and 1 17 and 2 16 mile runs.  Nothing else over 12-14 miles all year.  I overcame an Achillies injury back in Feb. and have some lingering plantaar faciitis.  Consistency is king.   I'm taking a 2nd day completely off in a row for the first time in maybe 3 years.  I utilized the Performance Management Chart to guide me in my builds and taper and measure my overall training load using the TSS tools for bike, run and swimming.  I ended the season with a FTP of 308, threshold run pace of 5:45, threshold swim (1000yTT) pace of 1:21.5 (in a warm, humid 82-83F pool).

What now?  I have a local 1/2 marathon in 5 weeks I'll do.  I thought about doing the Des Moines Marathon, but I'm just not interested in an open marathon unless I can focus on just running.  I could probably train half heartedly and run maybe suffer through a 2:50. 1/2 marathons are more fun and compliment IM training better.

From there I'll have to put together a schedule.  Probably do Pigman 1/2 in August and maybe my wife lets me do NOLA 70.3 with Josh Madsen in April.  I won't be in top form.  But should be able to put a good race together with what I know now.

Other goal for next season is to take my success and put it towards another fundraising campaign for Lupus Foundation of America.  I'll include all the original donors on my trisuit, but add the new ones.  This suit is going to be loud.  I'm going to find someone that can do something totally custom without ordering 20 suits.  My goal... a lofty one, but make it bold enough that I have a shot at making the NBC coverage, at least in a short snapshot.  I might get my graphic artist cousin in Michigan to help me possibly.

Phew.  do I have any time goal already for Kona... sure.  I think I'd like to run sub 3:20 (despite the heat) and bike around 4:45 for a sub 9:20.  Not overly ambitious, but realistic.  I'll need more power, to swim a lot stronger and maintain the run and acclimate to heat.  Sure that's oversimplified.  But what the hell.

One last summary of doing an ironman.  It's not a hard race, but that's only because you've trained for it.  It's a nearly 9 hour SBR training day with a 10k race done with a pair of knives sticking out of your quads.

I'll post some more thoughts later this week.


Run & Ride files for the data geeks like me:

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/PCOIM5545SUS5Q54RGZJRZVJMI

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/W273AV32FP3VCAMY7XPNKWMLOU







5 comments:

  1. Well done. Was cheering for you all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You advice really helped all season long and the race tips. I kept thinking on the run... try and not go out too fast, pick a pace I feel like my legs will give me and "don't slow down". I still didn't beat your time and you had a lot harder conditions. Now I need need Kona tips next Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great 1st Ironman. Well deserved and thanks for being so open in posting about your training and the journey to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the numbers ... gives me a real scene of where I need to be

    ReplyDelete