Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up 09-28-14

1st week at some sort of structured workouts.

By the numbers:
Swim - 2h09m, 9100y
Bike - 7h46m, 160mi
Run - 1h38m, 12.8mi
Strength - 1h30m
TOTAL - 13h36m, 753TSS

This is part of a preparation phase.  I start strength training again and ease back into a normal schedule.  There's one catch.   My ITB is giving my trouble.  I still want to do a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks, so I'l hitting the roller pretty hard and laying off the run miles.  I ran a 5k Sat. and given my increase in weight, and lack of running, I thought my 17:53 was pretty good.  I didn't push it too hard, paced it fairly well and it included a pretty good hill.  My Garmin 405 says 297ft.  It also tells me that my threshold pace right now is probably closer to 5:55-6:00 right now.   After the 1/2, I think I'll take a solid 10 days off running if needed.  If The ITB becomes chronic, then I might look at a cortisone shot to get the inflammation down.

Overall, it's off season.  I'm mostly focused on fun workouts, trying to build some durability with strength training, maintain my swim, enjoy some nice cool Fall rides and get my head clear.

Like last year, I'll split my season in 1/2.  But I want to do the split earlier, for a more complete build leading to Kona.  Really, it will be split in 3 parts.  With NOLA in April, a break, a base & couple build periods leading to Steelhead and/or Pigman.


A few other items:
Huge congrats to Daniel Bretscher coming in 2nd at Ironman Chattanooga, behind fellow Iowan Matt Hanson.  Daniel put together another smart race with solid swim, bike and run splits.  I think he nearly matched his run split from 3 weeks earlier at WI... on a hillier course.  Great job.  He later tweeted 1 simple thing... "#Kona2015".   Hell yes!

Coaching - So I'm looking into the possibility of going into coaching on the side.  Probably wouldn't take more than a couple athletes, really just get me feet wet, see what the time commitment is, and go from there.  I had previously even offered to coach 1 person for free just to get the experience, but with the liability concerns, I don't that that will work.  Plus I need to purchase a Trainingpeaks coaching edition to do it right.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment