Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up 1/19/14 - I survived Base 1

I survived my 1st base training phase.  My aerobic base is now solid and I'm ready to roll into the higher intensity stuff.... plus even more volume.

This week I reached 20h28m of training volume.  Something to note as well is that I do not count rest during swimming, running or cycling workouts.  This was my TSS is calculated more accurately.

This weeks totals:

Swim - 11,350scy, 2h53m
Bike - 9h34m, 178.6 mi
Run - 6h21m, 51 mi
Strength - 1h40m
Totals - 20h28m, 16,261 cal, CTL 110.8, ATL 146, TSB -27.2, 1112.5 TSS

Training volume percentages - Bike - 47%, run 31%, Swim 14%, strength 8%.  As you can see, cycling continues ot be a focus and will be throughout my annual plan.

My ride today clarified the importance of working on the bike.  Holding around 210-240 Watts felt easy for about 1-1/2 hours, OK through 3 hours and I was really fighting fatigue the last hour.  I didn't completely bonk, but I think I actually bonked, but low blood sugar was partly a contributor.   Overall it was slow, but I had crosswinds the whole way so I never god a full benefit of tailwinds, and had a cross headwind the entire 2h45m ride back from the turn around.  I think I averaged 23mph going out and about 15 comming back.  Ya, it was that bad.  I had winter gear, 4 bottles and training wheels with a wide 28mm front wheel, so that really slowed things down. I pushed into a tempo pace for a good 20-30 minutes at the start of the leg home.

My Saturday 17 mile run felt pretty good.  My longest run in 16 years.  I think my running is coming along pretty well.  A little knee soreness seemed to go away and my PF on my left heel wasn't an issue.  My right foot soreness seems to keep getting better.  So overall improving.

A few things to work on.

1)  Nutrition - I need to put in my nutrition order through True Nutrition.  I want a custom maltodextrine, dextrose, fructose bland that I can use as a concentrated drink mix, supplemented with Powerbar Perform (on course), plus a couple gels.  I'm thinking 350 calories per hour is manageable.  Solid food is too hard to eat while holding aero and maintaining a steady pace, especially in a 70.3.

2) Annual Training Plan - I entered TSS estimates for all workouts and races from now until IMWI.  I found a few interesting things.  Overall I'll hit Kansas and IMWI with very high TSB's.  30+ to Kansas, 40+ for IMWI.  I'll also have good form for Steelhead.  Lake Goede, I'll be negative, but TSB will be climbing, so a good result should be possible.  Should be a fun season if I can stay healthy.

3) Race Schedule - I'm now thinking that doing Hyvee the weekend before IMWI might not be a bad idea.  It might be a good distraction.   I'm qualified for the Championship Elite Race.  I could put together a top 10 armature result.  It will get me one more solid open water swim in a race setting, in particular in heavy traffic with a mass start.

4) Lupus Foundation of America, Iowa Chapter - SO my fundraising kicked off... and hasn't really gone anywhere yet.  Looks like in will take a little pavement pounding to make things happen.


Next up .... Recovery & Testing week leading into Phase 2.  I get to do my first FTP test with a power meter.   I also have another Tempo TT to see if my run has improved.  I should see a little improvement with my cardio base having improved slightly.  So I should hit a higher pace at hte same HR compared to 4 weeks ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment