Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Off Season Plans... or rather change of plans

I previously had wanted to roll right into a full 6 month plan leading to my 1st "A" race in April.  But... looks like my ITB isn't on the same page.  It's going to probably take a few weeks to work through, then a very, very slow build back into running base.  Cycling is also aggravating it a bit, so looks like it will be primarily a swimming and strength focus for a couple weeks.  That's not a bad thing.  It is off season after all.

ATP - No Annual Training Plan until it's healed.  No need to have that looming over my head. I've dug out of a injury before, so I know I can do it again.  Better to get 100% and be able to dive back into training than let it linger.  It's also an opportunity to see how well my base from the last 2 years allows me to progress and how far my fitness slides.



Coaching - This will give me an opportunity to focus some time on transitioning into the world of coaching.  That's right, I've decided this is the right move, something that complements my passion for the sport and will allow me to challenge myself in a different way.  I'm taking steps to make it happen.
Step 1 - The first is to protect my myself... and that means professional liability insurance.
Step 2 - Next is a Training Peaks Coaching membership to be able to manage training plans and schedules and get familiar with the software.  I have a few willing "guinea pigs".... or rather trusting athletes that I can start off with..  I'll have to put together a general waiver and some sort of agreement so expectation are clear.  At some point I do need to transition them to being paying clients as  I gain experience.  Hopefully I'll have some proven results and that won't be a issue.
Step 3- Professional certification.  This provides some beneficial formal education, reduced your liability exposure and is a prerequisite for Step 4
Step 4 - Join a coaching franchise that has approached me.  Becomes part of a well respected team and share in resources, increased exposure and in the end, just have more fun doing it with a bunch of great people that are passionate about the sport... and nothing wrong with making some money doing what you love.

That's really the American Dream isn't it.  My focus is still on helping athletes improve.  Even if I became a full time coach, I'm not going to make more money than my current career, so it's never going to be about money.  But having just gone through the passing of my father in law this last week, it does remind you that in the end, you only live once, so what are you getting out of life?  What's really important?  What changes can you make to improve you life experience.

That being said, I did have someone I respect tell me to be careful and that there is always the risk that the focus can become more about money and business than helping athlete reach their goals.   Another coach told me that you have to be careful not to get too emotionally connected with athletes as they can often let you down when they miss workouts or don't demonstrate the same commitment and drive that made you successful as an athlete.

Lupus Foundation of America,  Iowa Chapter Fundraising - With everything going on I don't want to lose focus on this fundraising and awareness campaign.  I still plan to get a new trisuit designed, and renew a fundraising campaign this winter prior to my first race in April.  I may recruit my cousin, a graphic arts designer, to maybe help me come up with a creative design.  Again, I'm thinking a bright purple that really grabs your attention from a distance and gets you looking.  This years suit was still a little understated.  We'll have to fix that.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike, congrats on everything you've accomplished its been very inspiring! Ive been following your blog for the last few months and always get some motivation after i read it. Great to hear you are getting into coaching too, any plans to remote coach ;).

    Hoping ITB issues clear up, can't wait to keep following you into 2015!

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of my Coaching will be remote. I'm just starting to add clients now. e-mail me at coachmikegirard@gmail.com if your interested.

    ReplyDelete