Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Friday, October 10, 2014

ITB Rehab Plan

Doing some Google search comes across a TON on info on this injury.   Here's my current plan:

1) Stop running AND cycling for a few more days.
2) Stretch, stretch, stretch.... like hold it for 30 seconds... and repeat 5X!  
3) Foam Roll... but DONT roll the ITB.   Roll out the root cause, which for me I believe is tight glutes and quads and supporting hip muscles.  This all started when I has a sort glut/hip area and stupidly ran on it anyway, thinking it would help loosen it up.  4) do hip strengthening exercises along with general strength training using free weights.  Sretch out really good after lifting.

How did it all start?   I'm now 100% confident it was from my Ironman run, not just the high volume training the 2-3 years before it.  I ran a solid 12 miles with bad form.   So what's the less on here?  2 takeaways for me.   1) take more time off and stretch, roll and get a massage sooner after the event and the week following.   Don't run at all for at least 10-14 days and no cycling either for at least 5-6 days.  Next year I'll have the  luxury of not do jack s*** for at least 2-3 weeks.   2) Do more transition runs and bricks?   Why?  well I need to get in at least a little time running on fatigued legs so the supporting muscles can adapt a little.   It's also good for mentally practice slowing down off the bike.  It's also fairly time efficient to squeeze in a run after a long bike.

Again, on the flip side I hitting the pool hard.  Doubling up today (AM & Lunch swims).  I should get in over 20k yards this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment