Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up 10/21/14

Not a great week.  Supposed to be starting my base 1 phase.  But 2 chiropractor visits, lots of rolling, etc and I thought my ITB was improving.  WRONG!   Had a couple OK runs, but Sat & Sunday it went downhill.  I just wasn't ready.

So now for Plan B...

No running until it's 100%.  Meaning no tightness, I don't feel it cycling or swimming at all.   I figure that will take 2-3 months... yes, not weeks, months.  I have to consider my priorities for next season.  Priority #1 is having a good showing at Kona... and running the whole thing.  I think NOLA still stays on my schedule, and will be an "A" race but my run will obviously not be in top form.  So I'll just have to adjust my expectations.
My focus will then be on swim & bike, which honestly, is where I have the most room for improvement anyway.  I know i can run faster at Kona than IMWI is I simply pace it better, and ride the bike within my limits, factoring in the heat and most of all, execute on nutrition and hydration.  Great execution with sub-par fitness will ALWAYS beat poor execution with great fitness.  Obviously there is the whole spectrum in between too.  But I'm always reminded of the 2 faster athletes in my age group at IMWI that didn't or were unable to execute that day.  If this ITB isn't fixed, that will be me, putting in a 5+hour marathon just to reach the finish line.

So my rehab plan will now include strength training 2 days a week, core work 1 day a week, yoga 1-2 days a week (my wife has expressed interest in doing this class as well....which would be cool) and rolling 2-3 times per day and some basic side leg lifts.  Strength training will include dead lifts and squats and the central theme.  With some lunges as well to shore up my glutes, which were the root cause of this injury.

By the numbers:

Swim - 18,200y, 4h17m
Bike - 135mi, 6h35m
Run - 12mi, 1h42m
Strength - 1h35m
Total - 15h15m
TSS - 925

At this point I'll keep my ATP the same, and just increase my swimming and cycling and strength related workouts to try and fill in the gaps lefts from running.

It's frustrating, but I'm not going to panic.  I'm happy as hell this happened now, not in August, and not next Sept.


No comments:

Post a Comment