Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations

Lupus Foundaton of America, Iowa Chapter Donations
DONATE NOW!

Monday, October 13, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up - 10/13/14

Another week without running.  Grrrr.  ITB seems to slowly be improving.  Stretching seems to be helping the most.  I'm still rolling but more focused on the tight muscles NOT rolling what's sore. Time off cycling made no difference, so I'm definitely riding again.  Online research I've done suggests that it's a good alternative to running to maintain overall fitness.  Oddly, kicking while swimming aggravates just a bit and possibly more than cycling. 

It of course became a BIG swimming week.   I feel really good in the pool and that increases my motivation.   Swimming is so boring otherwise, that motivation comes a lot from how you feel, seeing improvement or just a reminder at how important it is to hit T1 feeling strong, not destroyed.  Plus, a good swim workout, probably kicks in even more endorphins than a good run or bike session.  Maybe be cause mentally, it's my weakest discipline, so I expect good runs and good rides, but I don't expect to have awesome pool sessions.  So when I do, I feel like a superhero that crushed it.  I try and visualize hitting the Pier in Kailua Bay at the back of a solid swim group ahead to the log jam just behind me.  Then I can get to work on the bike nice and relaxed.  At least that the plan for now...

By the Numbers:

Swim: 22,400y, 5h12m
Bike: 103.6mi, 5h06m
Run: 0mi, 0h0m
Strength: 1h50m
TOTAL: 12h13m
TSS: 837

Still losing fitness overall, but gaining in swimming.  But it is impressive to see that taking 2 weeks off running, does result in losing 1/2 my CTL, but you can see how that will come back quickly as I ramp mileage up, especially running 6 days a week.  A CTL of 23 (about where I will bottom out), is only about 20mpw at an easy run pace.  I'll probably target 10 miles this week, 15 next week and just very slowly increase from there until I get to 40mpw for a couple weeks.  Then start add in some tempo runs if I'm still healthy, then increase to 45mpw and just hold there for the 1st 1/2 of my season.   For the 2nd 1/2 I'll try and get to 50mpw and hold that if I can.


Kona Musings:

So I can't help but think about next October after seeing coverage, photos and stories from Saturday.  It's intimidating.  I realize now that running under 3:30, will be a challenge in the heat. I think about those hot days I had here and I ran a solid 0:20 slower per mile, so my 3:21 becomes 3:29ish.  Getting lean will be important, and pacing and nutrition will be everything.   On the swim, I'd like to go around 1:00-1:01 and come out in the top 100 or so male amateurs.  I think if I improve my threshold swim pace, get in a good group on the swim, it's doable.   The bike will be all discipline.  Get in that nutrition, keep wattage under control and ignore what everyone else is doing.... and don't get a drafting penalty...haha.

I'm still not sure if I'll convince my parents to come and allow me to pay for most of their expenses (only way it will happen).   For me, it's a matter of buying an experience.  Their 50th wedding anniversary is that following August in 2016.  They did so much for me when I was growing up... and in the end, money is just money.  You can't always buy time or buy memories with your family, but this is one time maybe I can.  I'm sure my wife would happily trade $4k for 9 good quality days with my father that passed recently.  In the scheme of things, that nothing.  Especially when I'm riding a $7k bike, spending $5k a year on race entry fees, hotels, food, nutrition, shoes, tires, etc.

I hope to book a rental home this week if possible... before they get sucked up.  Though these luxury 3-4BR homes seem a little less popular it seems.   I love the location.   Near the public pool, a little private beach for the kids, a short walk from the pier and downtown...and Ali Drive for spectating.

Other notes:

I purchased the coaching Edition of Training Peaks.   Right now I'm just reviewing the training of 1 athlete and of course coaching myself.  I better make sure I sign a waiver for myself.  I almost fired my coach and sued him after I got the  ITB issue.  I mean seriously, what asshole coach schedules a training run only 5 days after a IM?  Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment